History of the clinic
Witkoppen Clinic was established in 1946 by three nurses on a farm school. It was initially registered as a feeding scheme and then in 1995, as a welfare organisation. Now registered as a non-profit company (NPC), we provide comprehensive primary healthcare and social services to mostly impoverished residents of informal settlements in the far northern suburbs of Johannesburg.
Witkoppen has been a trusted partner of the Gauteng Department of Health (GDoH) for more than 25 years. Some of Witkoppen's exceptional achievements in partnership with GDoH include training nurses to initiate and manage patients on antiretroviral treatment (NIMART), on-the-job training and mentoring of pharmacy assistants and of expanded public works programme cadres.
Witkoppen Clinic maintains high standards of practice in good governance, effective management, and optimisation of resources. We maintain productive relationships with government, beneficiary communities, donors and the general public.
We pride ourselves on our successful fundraising, as well as our effective administration and ethical behaviour. Witkoppen Clinic is committed to capacity building in the domains of compliance, financial management, human resources, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and programme management.
Our external auditors are Ecovis South Africa.